What is MSP Programme Board?
The MSP programme board is a vital component of the MSP programme management organisation. The MSP programme board plays a vital role in MSP leadership and acts as a great source of support for MSP Programme Management.
The MSP programme board is a group of people that is set up by and reports into the MSP senior responsible owner. The MSP programme board normally comes into existence out of the approval of the MSP programme mandate or the MSP programme brief.
The managing successful programmes manual describes the full detail of MSP programme board.
The purpose of the MSP programme board and its members is to support the MSP senior responsibl owner in delivering the MSP programme successfully. The MSP senior responsible owner may delegate responsibilities and actions to members of the MSP programme board.
The members of the MSP programme board in turn take the leads in supporting the authority and control of the MSP senior responsible owner over the MSP programme as a whole. The members of the MSP programme board ensure the appropriate coordination across all the projects that make up the MSP programme to drive it forward and deliver the outcomes and benefits.
The existence of the MSP programme board and the responsibility placed on the members does not dilute the accountabilities and decision-making authority of the MSP senior responsible owner in any way. This remains true even though the members of MSP programme board provide resource specific commitment to support the MSP senior responsible owner.
What are the responsibilities of ‘ Managing Successful Programmes ‘ or MSP Programme Board ?
MSP Programme Board | Ramaaa Consultants Limited | Manoj Gajavelli MSP | Experts in MSP Programme Management | Specialists in Training and Consulting.
As the MSP senior responsible owner appoints the members of the MSP programme board, all members are individually accountable to the MSP senior responsible owner. Each member may have a range of responsibilities of his own area and his piece of delivery within the MSP programme. A member of the MSP programme board will provide and commit to the MSP programme management senior responsible owner, one or more of a set of areas.
At a high level, a member of the MSP programme board would be responsible for:
- Defining the acceptable risk profile and risk thresholds for the programme and its constituent projects,
- Ensuring the programme delivers within its agreed parameters (e.g. cost, organisational impact and rate/scale adoption, expected/actual benefits realisation etc.),
- Resolving strategic and directional issues between projects, which need the input and agreement of senior stakeholders to ensure the progress of the programmes,
- Ensuring the integrity of benefit profiles and realisation plan and ensuring that there is no double-counting of benefits,
- Providing assurance for operational stability and effectiveness through the programme delivery cycle,
- Understanding and managing the impact of change,
- Benefits estimates and achievement,
- Owning the resolution of risks and issues that the programme faces,
- Resolving dependencies with other pieces of work whether change or business operations,
- Representing local strategy as expressed in medium-term plans and operational blue prints etc.
- Making resource available for planning and delivery purposes.
Who can be considered as standing members of the MSP Programme Board?
Who can be on MSP Programme Board | Ramaaa Consultants Limited | Manoj Gajavelli MSP | Experts in MSP Programme Management | Specialists in Training and Consulting.
The MSP programme board is set up by the MSP senior responsible owner. There are a range of facts that need to be considered in deciding who can be on the MSP programme board. Obviously, the people that are on the MSP programme board need to be of high calibre and character. Keeping in view the seniority and maturity that the role of MSP programme board member requires, the following can be considered:
- Programme senior responsible owner,
- Programme manager,
- Business change manager,
- Project executives of the projects in the programme (where the executive is not the programme manager),
- Representatives of corporate functions ( e.g. finance, risk etc.) as necessary,
- Lead supplier (if there are different senior suppliers across the projects of the programme, it may be advisable to appoint a lead supplier to work with and through at the programme level).
On top of all the above, it is important that the person who would like to take up a role in the MSP programme board has good knowledge of Managing Successful Programmes as described in the managing successful programmes manual.