What is the MSP Senior Responsible Owner?
MSP Senior Responsible Owner in short SRO is the ONE person ultimately accountable for the MSP Programme. MSP Programme Management Senior Responsible Owner has the overall responsibility to make sure the MSP Programme Management is done well and the MSP Programme meets its objectives and delivers or realises the expected benefits.
As a person, the MSP Senior Responsible Owner is expected to have enough seniority and authority to lead the MSP Programme Board with drive and energy and to exercise power to direct the MSP Programme and take decisions. The person must also be matured enough to accept the full responsibility and accountability for delivery.
What are the responsibilities of the MSP Senior Responsible Owner or SRO?
The MSP Senior Responsible Owner is fully accountable for the success of the MSP Programme. It is the MSP Senior Responsible Owner that makes sure that the Organisation makes full use of the new environment that is created by the MSP Programme. By doing so, the Organisation meets the new business needs and delivers new levels of performance, benefit, service delivery, and value or market share. The responsibilities of the MSP Senior Responsible Owner go beyond MSP Programme Management and can be summarised as below or can be referred to in the managing successful programmes manual.
MSP Programme Management Senior Responsible Owner | Ramaaa Consultants Limited | Manoj Gajavelli MSP | Experts in MSP Programme Management | Specialists in Training and Consulting.
The MSP Programme Management Senior Responsible Owner:
- Owns the VISION for the MSP Programme (as defined and ratified by the MSP Programme Management Sponsoring Group)
- Leads the MSP Programme, providing clear leadership and direction throughout its life,
- Secures the investment required to set up and run the MSP Programme, and fund the transition activities so that the desired benefits are realised,
- Provides overall direction and leadership for the delivery and implementation of the MSP Programme,
- Has personal accountability for its outcome (this should be an important measure of their performance),
- Is accountable for the MSP programme’s governance and MSP Programme Management arrangements,
- Owns the MSP Programme Management Business Case,
- Manages the interface with key senior stakeholders, keeping them engaged and informed,
- Manages the key strategic risks facing the MSP Programme,
- Maintains the alignment of the MSP Programme to the organisation’s strategic direction, and
- Chairs the MSP Programme Board.
What are the key attributes of the MSP Senior Responsible Owner?
The MSP Senior Responsible Owner must be capable of taking up the high level of personal responsibility for the MSP Programme. The MSP Senior Responsible Owner will have to make sure that those selected to be on the MSP Programme Board are also capable to contribute and support the MSP Programme with comparable levels of authority, commitment and ability.
The MSP Senior Responsible Owner must:
- Have the seniority for the responsibilities and accountabilities the role involves,
- Be pro-active and visible as the driving force behind the MSP Programme,
- Possess strong leadership and decision-making skills,
- Have the experience, character and personality that are right for the MSP Programme,
- Combine realism with openness and the clarity of expression to communicate the MSP Programme’s vision effectively,
- Be able to give purpose and direction to the MSP Programme and take strategic decisions,
- Focus on delivery of the benefits and realising the end goal,
- Build productive relationships across the MSP Programme team, and
- Have access to and credibility with the key MSP Programme Stakeholders.